Thursday, January 15, 2009

Run What??

Some of you know that I am running a 5k on January 31st for the Race for the Cure. I got interested in the 5k because one of my friends in NC, Holly, decided to do one back in Dec. Holly has not been very athletic in her life but decided last year to get a trainer, join the gym and start running. She inspired me for a number of reasons...not to mention I really want to lose these extra 35 lbs I've been carrying around for over a year and I have realized that I really need to set goals for myself.

One of the great things about working for my company is that they have a gym onsite and they are very health-oriented. They have numerous resources if you really want to lose weight so I have no more excuses. I joined the gym back in Oct. but didn't really get serious until Nov. I have been going 4-5 times a week other than over the holidays when I cheated a bit. I have lost 11 lbs since I started which seems good I guess but I feel like I should be closer to 20 by now. I know exactly what my problems are but I haven't hit the point where I'm ready to completely give in...and by give in I mean stop drinking and eating so poorly on the weekends. I do great during the week and have mostly cut out my drinking on weekdays but I generally blow it on the weekends after a late night out when I'm craving nothing but grease and carbs the next day. That is a whole other thing I need to work on but one step at a time!

So back to the 5k...I have been running about 4 miles at least 3 times a week but on the elliptical. I know running outside is a whole different story so yesterday I decided I needed to give it a try. Let me just say, it hurt like hell! I am no where close to being in shape and that was blatantly apparent yesterday. I ran/walked for 30 mins and have no clue how many miles it was but I'm pretty sure it was no where near 3.1 miles. I only have 2 weeks before the race and I don't know what I'm going to do?! I'm not giving it up, though. I have committed to this with several co-workers and friends but I just don't want to embarrass myself. Everyone has said the event is really fun and there will be a lot of people who run/walk so maybe it won't be that bad. I guess it's just a hit to the ego because I'm so used to being an athlete but those days seem so far behind me. I know I can not blame anyone but myself. I allowed myself to get out of shape and gain all this weight so I can't really do anything else but keep pushing forward and try to get myself back where I want to be.

I appreciate everyone's support and I can't wait to be back in a "normal" weight range and to be able to do the things I want to do. I'm sure there will be more posts about this struggle (Oprah and I have a lot in common) so just wish me luck!

2 comments:

  1. Best of luck Ty! I am so proud of you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are not right, love it! I'm right there with ya' girl. I was just telling Carleen that somehow moving to Raleigh made me gain 35 lbs. Down 4 1/2 lbs so far, and gonna try to kick the extras. You can do it!!!!

    ReplyDelete